A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Monday, May 28, 2012

Considering Home Schooling?

If you are pondering the idea of home schooling or are just beginning your journey I want to share with you our journey through the years. what has worked and what has not.

Lately I have had many people directed my way with lots of questions. In this post I will try to answer most of them.

A Little bit of background: I have been homeschooling for almost 12 years. I started with my oldest who will be going into eleventh grade this fall. I've tried most of what's out there. I've blundered and made mistakes. I've found what works and found what has failed us miserably! I'm not a pro....I'm always learning. Here is a post about why we chose to Homeschool. So with all that said, take my words as free advise. You are free to pick and choose what you want and my hope is that more than anything you will be encouraged!

*First and foremost, Pray that God will guide and lead you on this journey. Just like with anything else in your life He needs to be a part of this too! Pray about your schedule, your curriculum and the goals you and your family would like to accomplish.

*Find out your State's Laws on Homeschooling.

*Please do not compare your family with any other family! Your family is unique! Stay that way! Little Susie may not be strong in math but her ability to write, read and spell may far exceed those around her. Go with their interests and likes and build on them. And if  she struggles at math find a curriculum that will cater to her learning style. Which leads me to the next bit of advise.

*Find out what your child's learning style is. This is a good explanation of all three learning styles. And then find curriculum accordingly. It's hard not to get in a tail spin over curriculum! There are so many choices, from the really high priced to finding free stuff on line. Try and find sites that give you samples to look at like this one CBD. To be honest with you, the really high priced stuff does not mean your child will get a better education! And try and get your brain to wrap around this one concept....Homeschooling is not all about the curriculum! Your kids will be learning right along side you. Especially through life's every day experiences! Here is a link that will advise you on homeschooling methods and curriculum.

I'm an eclectic homeschooler which means I use a little bit of this and that. Here is a link to the History curriculum we will be using this coming year. I love Queen Homeschool Curriculum. We use Teaching Text books for my highschooler's math. It's a little pricey, but math is not my strong suit so I will not skimp on their math. We also use Living math from the Queens website for my younger two. I could go on about all my favorite web sites but, that's for another post.

*Try not to copy or imitate public school...Isn't that why you pulled your child out or started homeschooling in the first place? Homeschooling is just that, learning at home! You don't have to teach 8 hours a day! And you don't have to use dry, dull and boring text books! Be creative and learn to have fun! And if you have forgotten already.... remember your family is unique!

* Here is a look into our Homeschool

*Look for other Homeschooling families who are like minded and glean from them. Find a Co-op or a local homeschool support group. Google them for your county....there are lots out there! Or start your own with friends who may want to take the plunge with you.

I hope this has helped in some little way. That you have been encouraged. And if you have any questions please feel free to ask! I am here to help!

May God Bless your journey which ever path He made lead you to..........

No comments:

Post a Comment