A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Friday, July 27, 2012

Homemade Almond Butter

The older I get the more I am concerned about what goes into our mouths....I've always cooked from scratch, but have also taken short cuts and used canned foods, like the creamed soups that had way too much junk in them and processed foods that shouldn't even be labeled food!

I wanted to get back to real food.....I wanted my family and I to eat food that our bodies recognize and can use instead of storing it away as fat because our bodies have no idea what to do with it! Plus omitting the chemicals and things I am unable to pronounce just made sense to me!

I also notice when my kids eat junk their behavior gives them away every time! There is something to be said for keeping food whole... I've been a witness to major meltdowns because of what they have taken in. I have also seen digestive problems decrease as we eliminate the junk!

So I have been on this whole food kick for a couple of years. Now I must be honest and tell you I just didn't quit cold turkey and I do eat some junk from time to time but no where near what I use to! What a difference it has made! I feel better...more energy....well as much as I can feel being pregnant..baby seems to be sucking some of that energy up from time to time, but all in all I really feel good!

 I wanted to share with you my Almond Butter recipe...Have you ever looked at the label of a p-nut butter jar? Yikes! Very scary! And I love p-nut butter! I also knew I needed a natural alternative.....Now this is not as creamy as the store bought but I don't mind......There is one thing I have learned over the years of eating and that is what your body eats your body craves! If you eat healthy food you will crave healthy food...It's as simple as that!

2 Cups Almonds
1/4 Cup Real Maple syrup
Sprinkle of sea salt
1/4 cup Raw honey
2 Tbl. of coconut oil

Take your two cups almonds mix them up with your maple syrup. Pour them on to your baking sheet, sprinkle them with sea salt and roast for about 20 minutes making sure to toss them at least once. Take them out and let them cool for ten minutes before you put them into your food processor.

Put them in your food processor and add your coconut oil and raw honey. Blend until creamy......Mmmmmm

You will need to store this in the fridge. I thought about canning it and researched it. Some say because of the consistency you will not be guaranteed a perfect seal...So I just decided that you can store nuts very easily and I will just make it as I need it.



If you don't like the taste of coconut you can use the expeller Pressed coconut oil and it won't have the taste. Or you can use another natural oil. You can also omit the maple syrup and add an extra teaspoon of raw honey. Just experiment with it until you get the right flavor your looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment