A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Monday, February 17, 2014

When All I Had Was A Rock To Give


When thinking of a gift to give, one that could fit in her pocket. One that she could take with on the flight into Honduras. Something she could hold onto and remember. Something that would remind her of His strength.

I asked Him to give me an idea, one that I could use, one that I was not meant to buy because something bought just seemed too inappropriate. And what if we all just need that simple yet profound reminder? What if.......

Because the place she was asked to go is not very safe.....Actually it's quite scary. I've never known her to say no to God. I've never known her to walk away from a mission, even when it's scary......Even when she couldn't see through to the other side. She always knew God would be there to see her to the end.

I never once saw her as weak. I really never thought she could be weak until her mama went home and then I knew...... we are all weak......Even the ones that seem so strong. We all come broken.......

To see her hurt broke my heart.....I held her hand and just listened over and iced coffee and a cookie. I knew there was nothing I could say that she didn't already know. I also knew that sometimes we just need friends to be quiet so they can talk it out. Talk out the hurt and fear of not knowing what comes next and all the while knowing you have to trust the God/man through every twist and every turn......She knows that, she just needed to talk it through. We prayed and we laughed through tears, we hugged and shook our heads at how this world just never seems to stop for no one......

I called my sister because her and I have that same creative gene. I ask her for a small rock. She couldn't find one. I hung up the phone looked down and there it was. Perfect! Not too small, not too big. Just right to put in her pocket.

2 Samuel 22:3-4 My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my Savior. From violent people you save me. I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies.

That's what I wrote on her rock. The address of a place she could find strength. A simple yet profound reminder. 
Something she already knows but, sometimes when it's touchable and tangible it makes it more memorable. And so it is with the broken, we need to be more tangible and quiet for each other, because sometimes, that may be all we need.

To be able to hold onto "The rock" for strength and courage...So comforting....So TRUTH.

My sweet Mentor, My sweet Missionary friend,   I. Am. Praying.     And I love you more!




No comments:

Post a Comment