A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Canning Pumpkin

Some people have asked questions like: "Why do you bother canning when you can go and get it from the store?" My answer, Because that makes me dependent upon someone else. I want to be independent and self sufficient.....And really it tastes so much better than store bought! I know what goes in the jar because I'm the one handling it. It's a skill that should be passed down. I mean if we were all truly honest with our selves, the way things are going over there on Capitol Hill, we all better learn from our ancestors and teach ourselves some trade skills. Skills that will make our lives a little more comfortable. Because truly, it will matter if you are wise in being prepared and being sufficiently independent! And last but not least, I really enjoy doing it! It's my release.....
This is a large recipe for canning pumpkin. I used 8 pie pumpkins for this recipe. The first thing you wanna do is preheat your oven to 350. Then cut your pumpkins in half and scoop out the seeds. Place your pumpkins on a cookie sheet open side down and bake until you can poke a fork through. About an hour.

Scoop your pumpkin out and puree it in your blender. My 8 pumpkins gave me about 24 cups of pureed pumpkin.

Add:
8 C Brown sugar
8 Tsp. Cinnamon
2 Tsp. Nutmeg
3 Tsp. Ginger
2 Tsp. Ground Cloves

Stir until mixed well and put in pint jars. Process at 10 lbs. Pressure for 20 minutes.
Disclaimer: The USDA does not suggest canning pumpkin because of safety issues. 

But I have asked around and found several ladies who have been canning it for years with no trouble. They consider themselves the "Canning Outlaws"......And well, when someone says I can't do something.....I tend to do it any way. *Smile* So yes now I am a "Canning Outlaw".

I processed 18 pints of canned pumpkin almost 2 weeks ago and all have sealed well and still remain sealed. You must use a Pressure canner! Absolutely no hot water bath!

I tried this pumpkin before I jarred it and it is absolutely delicious!!! I will be using it for Breads, Cookies, Pies and everything PUMPKIN!
 I had to share another pic of my shelves just to show you how much they have filled up in the last month or so! This is where I am creative, this is my profession and I take it seriously! I love stuff like this! I love being prepared and providing for my family! This is what I'm passionate about....Being a Stay at home wife and Mama!!


No comments:

Post a Comment