A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Friday, April 6, 2012

Butternut Apple butter

I'm always looking for different ways to use my apples. I had a butternut squash sitting on my counter and was wondering what I should do with it. So after some thought I decided to make Butternut Apple Butter. I have always made Pumpkin Apple Butter, so why not? It's the same concept.
 So here it is Butternut Apple Butter! Yum! Yum!
You cook your apples down like you would for apple sauce. Add your spices, cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves, nutmeg, ginger. What ever you prefer. Add your sugar. I use brown sugar. While your apples are simmering cut your squash in half and bake it in the oven for about an hour. Remove squash from skin and put it in your apple mixture. You can puree the squash first if you want to. I've done it both ways and either way is good.
Ladel it in your jars and process in hot water bath.

We put it on toast, I use it as baby food, And my husband likes to put it on cottage cheese. We have even been known to heat it up and put it on vanilla ice cream! Mmmmmmmm...........GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment