A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Monday, October 31, 2011

My Eyes Are Wide Open

As a child I remember dressing up and going door to door with my sister and my Mama. And still to this day it is one of my favorite memories. All the little old ladies on our side of the street knew us.  We were their favorites because we would visit them not just on Halloween but, often through out the year. I remember my Mama dressing up with us a time or two. Nothing scary, always goofy. And I remember it being loads of fun!



Last night I was reminded how the world creeps in ever so slightly. What was once a simple little treat for me has become a trial for me, a burden. I brought my camera because I'm always capturing moments.....

 Is it because I have chosen to close my eyes in the past? Was I that desensitized to all that was around me? Or is it because the world is getting more accepting......of all that is tainted?






While it wasn't hard to snap the innocent. What you won't see....what I refused to let my camera capture were the demons...the devils....The masks that would give an innocent child nightmares. But there was one, one little girl dressed as a walking dead child....It broke my heart. She couldn't have been more than 8 years old.  Face painted white. Black circles around her eyes.  What really hurt me was the blood all over her body. Staining up the little dress and plastered all over what was once white stockings. And the thoughts were running wild and crazy through my mind. How I would never want to see my daughters portrayed in something so evil...... I questioned what Mama would want to see her child dressed that way?




Now I can hear some of you say that I need to lighten up...that it's all in fun. Oh beloved hear my heart, I'm all for having a good time and I believe that we can but, without the darkness of the evil one. Don't you see? Little by little he is creeping in.

My 15 year old son came up to me last night and before I even had a chance to say anything he said "I think some of these people are confused, this is not the night of horror.....This is a church. God's house! This is not right!"

And I see moments like this as Teachable moments and while I am content in knowing that my children know the difference between the LIGHT and the dark.....My heart is uneasy about how quick the dark can creep in.....How easy we all can become desensitized. This is how the dark one creeps in. This is how he takes hold. How is it that we become accepting of our little girls walking around in blood and not see anything wrong with it! That would not be an image I would want to remember! All in fun or not!......



And my eyes are wide open.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I abhore how even Christians (and at church functions) bring the evil of the world where it should never be welcome. I remember a game day at a church I went to about six years ago... all of children children wore costumes while the teens (myself included) helped them with the activities. One little girl came in dressed as a... how shall I put it? "A woman of ill repute" would be how the Bible would put it in the tame context. It saddened my heart so much... and now can bring a sick feeling to my stomach. She couldn't have been more than ten or eleven years old. What happened to butterflies and ballerinas??? Innocence is SO precious and not just in children! God people, young and old, need to endeavor to be set-apart and holy. It is encouraging to visit a blog like yours where this is true! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    God bless!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete