A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Being Prepared Is Biblical, Part 1

First I want to start by saying that I am not a doom and gloom kinda girl. I don't fret about the end of the world. I know what happens in the end and I'm on the winning team! But I also want to make it clear that I like to be prepared. I'm not one to sit on the side lines while things are falling apart and my family and I are left with out resources to live and maybe even survive.

With the way the economy is looking I feel uneasy about looking through rose colored glasses hoping that America will get back on track before it's too late. Prices are already sky high at the pumps and in the grocery stores and it seems they have no other way to go but up! We also live in hurricane land and have seen several tornado's pass us by just down the road. Being prepared is Biblical!


A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge,
but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
Proverbs 22:3 (NIV)


So in the next series of posts I will share with you what we are doing to prepare to have things on hand for such a time as this.

Most of you who know me, know that I love to jar and store my own food. I've been doing it for almost 18 years now and I really love to see all my jars lined up ready for any occasion. I love the fact that I know what's in them because I put it in the jar! There is a down side, but to me it's not much of one....it's takes patience and time. But in the end it is so well worth it!! You do save some money especially if you grow your own food.


I make my own jams and jellies, you will never find a bought jar of jam at my house! Homemade just tastes that GOOD! It takes two quarts berries and 7 to 5 cups of sugar to make a batch and each batch yields 4 pint jars and 1 half pint. We usually pick blackberries when they are in season and put them in the freezer until I am ready to make the Jam. I also buy strawberries by the flat clean and freeze them for later use. A flat cost me $10 and there is 8 quarts in a flat. That's 16 pints and 4 half pints of jam. If you were to buy your jam at the store for $4 a jar that would be over $64, and it only cost me about $15 to make.....Plus my time, But I enjoy it!

Where ever I can find berries whether it be a U-Pick or the flea-market or even buying them from a friend, I get them and stock my freezer until I have the time to make them into Jam or even a pie or two.

The possibilities are endless with what you can put in a jar! Don't be afraid do your research and give it a try. And please if you have any questions I am here to help!!

Although I do not like Wal-mart, they do sell the ball canning book with tons of recipes and all the canning supplies you will need at a cheaper price!

Happy Jarring!!

2 comments:

  1. I have also been canning for a while. I feel it is best for my family since I am the one putting it into jars. It is also a way of being prepared for anything. Like you said, even survival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ma'am! It's a good feeling isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete