A place of encouragement:

Living By Faith, Walking in the Light, Saved By His Amazing Grace

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Soup Stock

To make the stock you first have to put your left over bones, skin and meat from a turkey or chicken in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and let it simmer about 4 to 6 hours.
Then strain the stock from the bones. I pick what meat is left and put it in a bag in the fridge until I'm ready for it. I then put the stock in the fridge over night to harden the fat so it is easier to separate it from the stock. After I separate, I then put it back on the stove add the meat and the Trinity (onions, carrots, and celery)....And if you like potatoes in your soup now would be the time to add them. Along with your seasonings.

I'm slowly enhancing and changing the way we eat. I've always made things from scratch but, now  that I have been educating myself on "real food" it has made me research things that have no m.s.g's and artificial flavorings and preservatives. I use a garlic salt that contains no m.s.g's for flavoring. I have yet to come across a bullion that is chemical free....But when making your own stock it's not really necessary.

Now I know with some of you it may be a time factor....But when you think about it, it really is easy and most of the time that it takes to make it, is when it is simmering on the stove. I put mine on the stove yesterday afternoon and let it simmer while I was making supper. After supper I strained and removed the bones. Then put it in the fridge. Today I will finish it and we will have it for supper tonight.

It is really worth the time and the effort put in. Very healthy for your family. And you can rest assured knowing that there are no chemicals going into there precious vessels!

No comments:

Post a Comment